Network troubleshooting is the collective measures and processes used to identify, diagnose and resolve problems and issues within a computer network.
It is a systematic process that aims to resolve problems and restore normal network operations within the network.
Network troubleshooting is primarily done by network engineers or administrators to repair or optimize a network. It is generally done to recover and establish network or Internet connections on end nodes/devices.
Some of the processes within network troubleshooting include but are not limited to:
- Finding and resolving problems and establishing Internet/network connection of a computer/device/node
- Configuring a router, switch or any network management device
- Installing cables or Wi-Fi devices
- Updating firmware devices on router switch
- Removing viruses
- Adding, configuring and reinstalling a network printer
Network troubleshooting can be a manual or automated task. When using automated tools, network management can be done using network diagnostic software.